Meadowdale High School has a strong culture of volunteerism! Each year student volunteers contribute thousands of hours to our school and community! Volunteering is a great way to get connected, meet new Mavs, and give back to our community.
Did you know that you can get credit on your transcript for volunteering? Students are illegible for .5 credit for every 90 hours of volunteer service (up to 3 times for 1.5 credit) on their transcript. Volunteer work must be done at a non-profit organization such as a school or church, and must be verified by an adult supervisor.
To obtain volunteer credit, student fill out the Volunteer Service to Credit Verification form and turn it in to Ms. Neumann in the Career Center. Don't forget to submit a Timesheet if you are completing more than 50 hours!
NEW Volunteer Opportunities:
- 2/28/20- The Greenway Trust is an environmental nonprofit that leads and inspires action to conserve and enhance the landscape from Seattle across the Cascade Mountains to Central Washington, ensuring a long-term balance between people and nature. This summer they are offering an opportunity in partnership with Sammamish YMCA for high school students to participate in a nine-day trip hiking, biking, rafting, and camping while also learning from conservation leaders who have helped shape and protect the recently designated Mountains to Sound Greenway National Heritage Area. All high school students are eligible to participate. From July 11-19, participants in the Trek will hike, bike, float, and camp across the Greenway, starting in Roslyn and ending in Seattle. Registration opens Friday, February 28. Visit mtsgreenway.org/trek/youth to learn more.
- 2/10/20- CANCELLED for 2020- Camp Providence is seeing student volunteers for summer 2020! The summer volunteer program runs for 8-10 weeks during late June - August for a total of 100 volunteer hours. Check out their website for details and how to apply!
- 2/5/20- SENIORS: Black Diamond Camps is recruiting your students for the Summer Service Team. Service Team is an opportunity for students to come and serve at camp for 2 or 3 weeks of the Summer, for up to 150 Community Service Hours. You'll earn hours, and get to experience camp and be mentored by a college-aged counselor. Check out the website for more info!
- 2/4/20- Osprey Camp is looking for camp counselors!! If you would enjoy being a a mentor to younger students and enjoy the outdoors, this is for you! Mentor applications are due no later than March 20th. Check out application for more information!
- 12/17/19- Woodland Park Zoo is seeking volunteers. Check out the flyer for more information.
- 10/30/19- The Habitat for Humanity store in Lynnwood is in desperate need of volunteers! Help is needed ongiong Tuesday through Saturday afternoons. For more information, visit their website!
- 10/18/19- Volunteers are needed to help run the National Apprenticeship Celebration on Nov 7th @ Sno-Isle Tech Center. Volunteers will help check people in, direct traffic, and encourage people to attend the panel speaker presentation. You get a free T-shirt and dinner for their assistance! To sign up, come by the Career Center, or email Ms. Neumann at: email@example.com.
- 9/15/19- Project Linus quilts blankets for kids in Snohomish County that have experienced trauma. Would you like to participate? Come to Make-A-Blanket Day on Saturday, Oct 5th from 12-5 @ Valley View Bible Church in Everett (by Everett Costco). For more information or to sign up, contact Diane at (425) 252-4524.
- Volunteer at the Museum of Pop Culture!! MoPOP's passionate volunteer community shares their enthusiasm for pop culture through exhibit interpretation, information desk attendance, interactive support, event assistance, and much more. Students must be 16+ and be able to commit to volunteering two times a month. If you would like to apply or get more information, visit www.MoPOP.org/Volunteer.
- Meadowdale Elementary is holding their annual Monster Mash carnival on Oct 26th from 6-8. Volunteers are needed to run the carnival booth and help with setup/tear down from 5-9. Dressing up in encouraged! Sign up in the Career Center! Questions? Contact Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It's that time of year again for the Seattle Children's Hospital fundraiser at Benaroya Hall, presented by LUMA (a non-profit) on November 15, 2019. This year, the music is Origin! Every year students from Meadowdale volunteer at this fun filled night. Volunteers get into the show for free and get to volunteer in groups of 3-5 to sell raffle tickets. This is a wonderful cause! Sign up in the Career Center to volunteer.
- The Edmonds Food Bank is now open on Monday evenings! High school volunteers are needed after to school to help with food distribution! If you would like to volunteer, email Lindsay Hogan at: email@example.com to get the application!
Here are some ideas of where MHS students have volunteered in the past:
- Elementary schools (Beverly and Meadowdale Elementary are within walking distance!)
- Meadowdale Middle School
- Lynnwood Food Bank
- Edmonds Food Bank
- Clothes for Kids
- Swedish Hospital Junior Volunteer Program (14+)
- PAWS (must be 18+)
- Seattle Aquarium Young Ocean Advocates
- Lynnwood Police Explorer program
- Local churches
- Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
- Lynnwood Recreation Center
- Girls Rock Math
- Sno-Isle Libraries (Edmonds and Lynnwood Libraries are close)
- Boys and Girls Club
- TEENLINK Crisis Clinic- volunteering by teens for teens!
- Habitat for Humanity in Lynnwood
- The Red Cross, Snohomish County